|Nineteen Eighty-Four||Minority Report||Clockwork Orange||Handmaid’s Tail|
||– A common element in many dystopias is the manipulation of language. The inner party has manipulated the language in attempt to reduce all emotion and differences within Winston and the proles.||The ‘Minority Report’ also features new figures of language and new language techniques. For example; Pre cogs, pre-crime,|
Statement Across all of the texts: All of the texts are of dystopian future, and involve many unifying ideas including; corruption, government control, lack of privacy, brainwashing the public, manipulation of the language, mass surveillance and an anti hero character stuck in the middle.
Example on board: Power Corrupts. When humans acquire power over one another, there is an inevitability about what happens next. The powerful use this to their advantage. Any morals they may have are abandoned in their corrupt pursuit of control.
My example: A common element in many dystopias is the manipulation of language. The higher authority aims to control the populations thoughts and actions, through telling them how to think and speak. (Examples within texts are above^).
A common element in many dystopias is the invasion of privacy. The state over-steps the boundary and invades peoples private lives to the extent that in many cases the very thoughts of an individual fall under state control.
Structure for writing Significant Connections:
- Establishes the over-arching idea/aspect
- Identify the texts you will refer to
- Expand on what conclusions this has lead you to
1 Section on each text
- Introduce text (DO NOT summarise the plot). Name, Author, Connecting feature
- Expand on how your ideas about the connecting feature were developed by the text
- Give quoted examples
- Make a link to next section
Idea: Control of the individual through language
- Double think
- Thought Crime
“The notion of the state controlling the thoughts of the individual through the control of language.
Represented in the novel by a range of portmanteau and statements of opposite and contradiction.”
Idea: Lack of Privacy
Idea: Corruption via Control
|1. Nineteen Eighty Four||2. Minority Report||3. A Clockwork Orange||4.|
Quotes from each text to support the ideas above:
- “Until they became conscious they will never rebel, and until after they have rebelled they cannot become conscious.”
- “In the face of pain there are no heroes.” – Anti hero quote
- “Power is in tearing human minds to pieces and putting them together again in new shapes of your own choosing.” – corruption through power quote
- “Big Brother is Watching You.” – Eyes symbolism quote
- “Lycon: [to John Anderton] In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.”
A Clockwork Orange
- “You had a very positive response. Tomorrow, of course, there’ll be two sessions, morning and afternoon, and I should imagine that you’ll be feeling a bit limp at the end of the day. But we have to be hard on you, you have to be cured.” – “cured” manipulation/power quote
Developing my personal response: What am I learning from this?: